Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day with The Chicks

It's Veteran's Day 2008. Just 10 minutes ago, I received a text from my former Navy Chief, Gary Spevak. Both of our Naval careers ended about the same time, and ever since January 2005 I have been a proud veteran of the United States Navy. Gary has even more to be proud of as he served an entire career in the military, whereas I served one tour of duty. Who would have thought that I would be a "party chick" 3 years later? It's pretty amazing where life takes you if you are open to it. My experience in the military, as a whole, was positive. I am very aware that it had everything to do with the leadership I was under. I have met quite a number of veterans and active duty military over the years who had experiences that were similar to mine. I have also met some that had nothing nice to say about their tour of duty. One thing that we all have in common though, is the pride that comes with serving our great country. There is an amazing brotherhood and sisterhood you join when you serve your country. My husband and I have shaken hands with Marines (once a Marine, always a Marine) who fought in World War II. The most amazing part was that they were as honored to meet us as we were to meet them! It is true that once you serve, you take on the legacy of those before you who gave up their very lives for our freedom. It is an amazing honor and a responsibility to carry it forward to the next generation.
Today, I am thinking about all of those I have stood side by side with as well as those I took orders from and gave orders to. I am grateful to those who picked up the baton after we passed it down. Happy Veteran's Day and thank you for your service!

No comments: