Friday, January 16, 2009

Face to Facebook


I just read an announcement that stated that Facebook has recently added its 150-millionth member. This social networking site has turned into an extremely influential part of our society! I remember, not too long ago, searching for a childhood friend on the internet. Most of the sites that promised a chance to reconnect charged some sort of fee for the information. These days, most everyone you have rubbed elbows with is available at the click of a mouse. Enter the social butterfly promised land of Facebook.
This begs the question “How does this relate to the business world?” I can only speak from my perspective, but Facebook has opened up another non threatening channel through which I can share what is going on in my life and what is important to me. Because work comprises most of our waking hours (unless you have a sleeping disorder) it is a huge part of our lives. The lines between professional and personal lives have continually gotten blurrier as we try to find the elusive harmonious balance between the two. I can simultaneously be the “Office Manager Chick” as well as just plain Jayme Arries. It gives me a chance to see what my friends are involved with, professionally speaking, and refer or use them accordingly. It gives whole new meaning to the term “word of mouth advertising.” This is more like endorsement by “friend-ing.” I have even created a group on Facebook to gather Three Chicks Catering “foodies” and disseminate the most recent news and updates. Everyone can update photos, and discuss events from the past, present and future. Best of all, this is done in the spirit of keeping in touch with one another, sharing experiences and deepening connections.
If you are interested in being a part of this social movement, go ahead and “friend” us, or join our group and help us keep the discussion of good food on the tip of everyone’s tongue!
Cheers!

No comments: