Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Blog on Blogging

Today I am Blogging on Blogging… which sounds akin to eating a “Hot Pocket© flavored Hot Pocket©” (Jim Gaffigan.) In our last few marketing classes, people keep asking what the point of blogging is. Why does writing out thoughts for everyone to read benefit you, your business, and the entire human race? I actually have an answer for this! If you have already heard my chicken bones story, feel free to skim over the rest of this post, however, if you haven’t, get ready to have your mind blown.

My dog is a giant Alaskan Malamute who literally devours every food scrap he can get his paws on. One evening after preparing delicious Chicken Enchiladas (from scratch) I discarded the bones, gristle, and remaining undesirable parts of the chicken. About an hour later, my dog (Atreyu) busted open the garbage can and ate EVERYTHING. Once I realized what happened, I started freaking out because everyone knows that you should never let your animals eat cooked bones due to the fact that they splinter and cause choking, internal bleeding, and many other horrific maladies. Of course, it was the middle of the night so I turned to the world wide web for answers before I rushed down to the Animal ER. I googled “dog ate chicken bones” and happened upon a blog run by a veterinarian. Her post told me exactly what to do, what to look for, and when to load up the 120 lb dog and head to the ER. I followed the instructions which said to feed the dog bread and other food products that would pad the stomach lining and hopefully prevent punctures, bleeding, etc. Don’t take my word for it… take hers! She’s the Doctor.

My point in all of this is that you never know who wants to know what you know. I am forever grateful to this faceless blogger for getting me through a very stressful night as a dog owner with a guilt trip. When you blog, keep your reader in mind. How can you help someone else solve a problem that you could navigate blind folded with your hands tied behind your back. It’s like giving your reader a reassuring hug through your blog… a Blug….

And on that note, I am signing off with a heartfelt CHEERS!

No comments: