Thursday, March 25, 2010

5 Things I have learned from Social Media

by Jayme Arries

These are just a few observations I have made over the past couple of years...


1. It really is a "Small World, After All"
Think twice before you call someone out on Facebook. The odds of them having a mutual friend are pretty high! Just last week, I saw someone post (on a public fan page) about their grandma's store. As it turns out, the previous owner of the store never received payment. Awkward situation to say the least.


2.  People believe that "fanship" equals reality

 The best part of this is that there are over 500 results for the search "I bet I can find 1 million..."


3.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.  Social Media is an unprecedented opportunity to engage in relationships.  This can be individually or through your company's Fan Page.  In either case, the best way to invalidate yourself is to use old school tactics to "market" to your audience.  Spamming someone's profile or fan page with a sales pitch is a sure way to get yourself blocked, hidden or unfriended.  Believe me, no one is going to read your post and suddenly realize they need some Pampered Chef Wares.


4.  Go with your gut feeling.  Social Media sites have a bug zapper-like attraction for viruses.  If you get a message/email/post/chat request that seems "off"... it probably is.  Don't click.

5.  Finally, don't publish anything that you wouldn't want your Pastor/Mother/Spouse/Significant Other/Children to see.  Once it is put out there... there is no going back.  The TV show News Radio from the 90's was quoted in Groundswell "You can't take something off the Internet.  That's like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool."  Personally, I have been "unfriended" by two of my former Pastors... I am sure it wasn't because of my Vegas pics...

No comments: