Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Keepin' it real


I have been in a reflective mood ever since my birthday on Sunday October 5th. I am not sure that I want to announce my age to the world yet either, so lets just say it rhymes with shmirty shmears shmold.

There really isn't anything to be secretive about anymore. Nowadays a 30th birthday is cause for some of the biggest catered celebrations on our calendars. Life expectancies for both men and women are in the high 70's which means we have MUCH more time to get our acts together and decide whether marriage and kids are something we want to be a part of our lives. 30 has become what 21 used to be, a tangible passage into adulthood. My mom, the subversive hippie that she was, didn't have her first child (ahem... me) until she was 34. While in the 1970's that was "far out," it is much more common today. In essence, as a society, we have pushed back the hands of time to extend our childhood until our 30's. Humankind is pure genius!

Some great ideas for 30th birthdays are 70's themes (specifically the birth year), Memories and guest lists from childhood/high school/college/20's, and Vegas Baby! Which brings up a philosophical question... If you turn 30 in Vegas... does it stay in Vegas?

Cheers!

Jayme

No comments: